Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lou's Kilcock Race Report



Race Report!
We trained for 8 weeks and 24 training sessions, well maybe a few were missed on the way, and finally it was the big day, Race Day! Time to bring it all together and put into practice everything we had learned from the 2 bald super coaches!
After a Friday night on the couch and a tummy full of pasta, Saturday was upon us. We were off to Kilcock with the bikes loaded and the check list all in check. With the sun splitting the stones and the sunblock applied, registration was the first port of call. We received fancy yellow t-shirts and race numbers and headed off to transition to set up.
Watching the pros get ready beside me, my nerves started to kick in. With everything all set up and my tyres pumped to the max by Anne's helpful hubby, I got into the beautiful tri-suit and went off to the canal.
As we watched the sprint waves swim by I felt sick to my stomach and the murky water of the canal did not appeal. With Craig and Richie there we had our final group meeting and we all climbed into our wetsuits. We were already sweating and we had yet to even start!
Suddenly it was time to get into the water. Craig gave me a final few words of advice "Get into the middle and push it out for the swim!". Thinking to myself "What the hell have I signed up for?" I knew that there was no going back and into the water I went with a splash. It was GAME ON!
Suddenly it was ready, steady go! and off we went. The nerves kicked in and gave me a push and I managed to get into a steady swim, apart from a short detour into the reeds. I was soon scrambling up the ladder and trying to get out of the wetsuit. Finally free, I jogged off to transition and tried to get my breath back.
Into transition I went and into the runners - helmet on - with Richie in my head saying "Never touch your bike until you have your helmet on". Then I realise I hadn't put on my t-shirt! Finally ready, I ran out to the mounting line and scrambled onto the bike! As I headed off down the road I gulped down my drink. I settled into the bike and I soon come across Anne. I gave her a wave and a holler and I continued on the cycle. I spent most of the time on the bike looking out for my fellow bootcampers and Craig and Richie to give them a wave and hear a cheer!
Bike down and now to the run, the bit I have dreaded, and god the sun was burning! Along the canal bank it's really quiet but I kept waiting for Elaine to zoom past me. With one lap down, I was feeling totally drained and started thinking that this was a really, really bad idea, but then the finish line came into view and the tri-planet guys were cheering for me. With a final sprint it's all over and I have finished my first ever triathlon and I'm still smiling!
As we cheered everyone over the finish line and congratulated each other, we all had huge smiles of satisfaction and joy at our own personal achievement. It was a fantastic day and with the constant support from Craig and Richie from day one in Bushy park through to the finish line in Kilcock, it was a day I will never forget.
Thanks for helping me make my goal become a reality and for making it such a fun-filled event.




Lou

No comments: