Wednesday, May 26, 2010

John's Kilcock Race Report



Race Report!
A little note to my story..just going to refer to Craig and Rich as ....RICR

The beginning...

As we all floated in the canal (as taught by RICR for open water starts!) the count down began. Before I knew it I was off like the clappers.... until I ran out of steam 100 yards up the canal and got passed out by a couple of swimmers(Brian,Mick I'm looking at you)...suddenly between the mouth full of canal water I was swallowing a voice of training past came back to haunt me (RICR) watch out for the jitters and starting off too fast......Damit!

As I clumsily stumbled out of the water the voice of RICR came back into my head...(actually they were standing behind me encouraging me on) I fumbled to take off my wet suit.. I was like a dog chasing his tail. I couldn't find the string to unzip my wetsuit. After a few embarrassing seconds RICR pointed out that the string was dangling to the from of my suit. After finally fumbling to get the wet suit off (I was a lot better at getting it off in the shower the night before I promise) I was off like a bullet to my bike... well may be not so much like a bullet as more like a 90 year old man with arthritis.

On me bike... so to speak I thought I was doing quite well until I hit the first loop of Kilkock and coming hurtling towards me was Brian like a bat out of hell.... a good few hundred meters ahead of me...well I nearly fell off me bike in shock how far ahead he was. I kept my cool and thought well feck it if I dont catch him I hope he has a great race(luckily I did hehehehe). The sun was shining that hard I felt I had two shadows until I realized Mick the drafter was practically getting a backer off me. For a while I didn't realize who it was and the voice of traning past came to me RICR...'if someone is drafting you tell them to F off' which I promptly did only to a familiar voice shout 'Alrite John'. You know who you are drafter!

The funniest part of my race was on the second lap of the bike and I hear a voice cheering me on and when I look up there was Louise (who was having a great race but still managed to smile for the camera's) cheering me on and waving while still managing not to fall off her own bike. It epitomized the spirit of the 8 weeks with a great group of people.

Right...back to how I beat Brian..... only messing!

The scariest moment that haunted me on the whole way round my run was just as I was starting my run a voice bellowed down from the gods.... 'I'm coming for you John!' WTF went racing through my heat until I realized Brian was hot on me tail.... well I nearly sh..had an accident.

For the whole run I had visions of Brian and Mick passing me out. The fact that both my calf muscles cramped at the very start of the run didn't help. Off I went like the arthritic 90year old man I felt like.


The finish line was sweet.. the sense of achievement was second to none... I was buzzing for two days straight. Bit of a lull now with no training...hurry up guys we need another training course!!

Thanks for a great eight week to everyone. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Special thanks to Rich & Craig

John

No comments: